Johnny just got back from TBEX (Travel Bloggers Exchange) and had a great time. This week he's talking about getting cheap fares for holiday travel. It's not too late to get a great deal for the holidays if you try the following tricks including:
1) You have to be flexible. You're not going to get last minute flights the day before and the day after.
2) Stay away from peak days
3) Stay away from the real low fare carriers. They may offer an incredible deal on its face, but they'll sock it to you on seat assignments, bag check, etc.
4) Look for alternate airports to your destination. Check out Johnny's site alternateairports.com
5) Consider making a stop, rather than flying direct.
6) No travel deal website has all the great deals. You have to shop around. Check out Johnny's Deal interface. Sign up for fare alerts with your airline.
7) Even after buying a ticket, keep shopping around. You could end up with a better deal and can cancel the other ticket within a reasonable time frame.
There's more tips at JohnnyJet's Website