Mark hears that XP will stop being supported. Leo says yes, on April 8th Microsoft will release it's last security update. So what would be his options after that? He's on a budget and can't buy a new computer. Leo says that Linux is a good option, and it's often more secure. Leo says that Mark could also just continue to use XP if he takes steps and knows what he's doing.
Here's what Mark can do:
1. Stop using XP as an administrator. Use it as a limited user instead. Add an account as an administrator and then demote your existing account to limited user. This will stop over 90% of all the exploits out there.
2. Stop using Internet Explorer. Go with Google Chrome. It's free and far more secure.
3. Don't click on links in email.
4. Only get software from original vendors.
5. Keep antivirus software up to date.
If he does these five things, he'll be fine moving forward after April 8th.